...until the old wall mounted sink started leaking on the floor. A closer inspection revealed the bottom was rusting out, which wasn't surprising considering the sink was possibly as old as the house (over 105 years old) or at least 80 years old (it looks like a sink from the 1920's). While a full bathroom remodel was still out of the question, replacing the old wall mounted sink with a new, inexpensive vanity and sink was doable.
|The old sink.|
The first step was removing the old sink. Here are the steps I followed to complete this task: (Forgive me if I don't use the correct term for each part. I'm not well-versed in plumber-speak.)
1. Turn off the water supply at the wall.
Righty tighty, lefty loosey. I have to say it out loud every time. I then turned on the faucets to make sure the water was really off.
2. Place an empty bucket underneath to catch any leftover water in the lines. Unscrew the water lines from the wall and from the faucets underneath the sink.
There is a special tool to reach the faucet nut if it's hard to reach, but I was able to manage with a long handled wrench.
|The water supply line removed from the wall and from the faucet. It was still in fairly good shape, so I saved it in case it would work for the new sink. (It ended up being too short.)|
This is where things got interesting. While trying to loosen the connection, the whole tail pipe broke right off the sink. Either I'm Xena, Warrior Princess with super human strength, or that pipe was really rusted. I have suspicions it was the latter.
|Who needs a wrench when you can just bust the pipe clean off?|
|Almost a century's worth of spit, toothpaste, hair, and other gunk.|
I took the next section of the curved pipe off but didn't fully remove it from the wall at this point (see pictures under step #6). I didn't take pictures because there was a lot of hair in the pipe, and it was gross. Not saying whose hair it was...
5. Cut and remove all caulking that connects the sink to the wall.
I just used a utility knife, because I wasn't worried about scratching the sink or the wall. If you need to protect your wall, be very careful attacking the caulk with a knife.
|Cutting the caulk with a utility knife.|
|There was caulk all along the top and side of the sink.|
I'll admit this stage had me stumped. If you looked up under the sink, you could see a wall bracket, and it looked like the sink was bolted right to it. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how I was supposed to unscrew the sink from the wall. It just didn't seem possible. A quick Google search revealed that I didn't need to unscrew the sink at all--it was just resting right on the bracket. This video was incredibly helpful, and I wish I had watched it before I started this whole project- http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/25069/how-to-remove-an-old-bathroom-sink
It was a "light bulb/face palm" kind of moment. I waited until hubby got home to help me, because that sink was HEAVY. We both took a side and lifted it straight up. It came right off the bracket with no trouble.
|The wall mounting bracket, minus the sink.|
|The back of the sink-- you can see the two metal tabs that had sat down in the bracket. That's all that was holding this baby to the wall, plus a little bit of caulk.|
|The wall minus the sink, the water lines, and the trap. Notice the bucket. Don't forget the bucket.|
The bracket unscrewed from the wall, leaving some nice holes behind. I sanded down the holes in the tile board to provide a smooth surface for the next sink. As you can see in this picture, I hadn't removed the rest of the trap from the wall pipe. I figured I would get to it when I installed the new trap system. This turned out to be a bit of a mistake, as my next post will reveal.
|We were sinkless for a few days. We brushed our teeth over the bathtub. |
In the words of George Costanza: "It's all pipes!"
~Mulligan Mama, aka Xena, Warrior Princess